How to: Enable Waze Navigation On Apple CarPlay
Over the years, we’ve seen Apple improve their own Maps app, since its launch on iOS 6, but it still doesn’t cut it when you compare it other navigation apps, such as one of my favourite navigation apps – Waze – GPS Navigation, Maps & Social Traffic.
Since launch, Apple has monopolised navigation apps in on its CarPlay platform with their own Maps app, but with this simple CarPlay How to guide, you can get Waze app navigation audio working alongside your CarPlay system whilst maintaining full functionality of other CarPlay services, such as Siri, calling, messaging, listening or stream music apps and more.
Follow these simple steps to get the Waze app working alongside your Apple CarPlay apps:
- First enter the ‘Settings’ app.
- Select ‘General’ settings.
- Select ‘Background App Refresh’ settings.
- Make sure ‘Background App Refresh’ has its switch set to the On (green) position.
- Scroll down to Waze and make sure the switch is set to the On (green) position.
- Next go back to the ‘Settings’ first screen and scroll down to ‘Privacy’ settings.
- Select ‘Location Services’ settings.
- Make sure ‘Location Services’ is set to the On (green) position.
- Scroll down on this screen to ‘Waze’ and make sure it is set to ‘Always’.
- If the last step isn’t set correctly, tap on it and select it from the sub screen.
- Now connect your iPhone to your CarPlay system and open the Waze app on your iPhone (Note: it will not display on the CarPlay display).
- On your iPhone, select the location you like directions for and start the turn-by-turn navigation by pressing the ‘Go Now’ button in Waze.
- With your navigation started, you can now navigate away from the Waze app and start any other CarPlay enabled app. Waze will now run in the background, uninterrupted, and it will alert you with directions over any CarPlay app without closing it.
Avoid app switching too much, because the Waze app has to keep running in the background, and should any CarPlay apps take up too much memory on your iPhone, the Waze app has a strong chance of being automatically closed by Apple’s iOS system.
This work around isn’t as good as having true Waze navigation running on your CarPlay display, but if you run all your routes and contacts through Waze, than Apple’s own Maps app, this is the next best thing. Have full control of CarPlay apps whilst being navigated by Waze in the background.
This work around also works with any other navigation apps, such as Google Maps navigation app.